THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK
Go Back   THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK > Discussion & Interpretation > Story Forum > General Discussion
Home Forums Content Contagion Members Media Diversion Info Register

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes Translate
Old 05-15-2008   #1
MadsPLP
Grimscribe
Quotes: 0
Points: 61,944, Level: 100 Points: 61,944, Level: 100 Points: 61,944, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%
Send a message via MSN to MadsPLP
BA assignment about Ligotti

Hello Nightmare Network,

earlier today, I handed in my finished BA assignment about Thomas Ligotti's fiction.

I'm not too satisfied with it myself. I may or may not translate it into English and make it available here, depending on its grading and academic vanity.

I'll post the summary here in a few days, for those who may be interested.

Nevertheless, should anyone here be able to read Danish, you're welcome to send me a mail or private message if you wish to read it.

best,
mads
MadsPLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008   #2
MadsPLP
Grimscribe
Threadstarter
Points: 61,944, Level: 100 Points: 61,944, Level: 100 Points: 61,944, Level: 100
Re: BA assignment about Ligotti

I just got the answer today. I, rather surprisingly, given that I wasn't satisfied with it myself, got the highest grading available in Denmark (a "12"), which I'm very happy about. I'm now thinking about translating it into English. It may take a few months (years, decades), but I think I'll do it, in order to get some academic repute amongst a very small number of persons.

As a teaser, I hereby bring you....the resume!

Summary:

The subject of this paper is American horror writer Thomas Ligotti and his fiction’s way of rejecting life. First, I discuss the horror genre as defined by H.P. Lovecraft and S.T. Joshi in relation to the fantastic as defined by Tzvetan Todorov and Rosemary Jackson. A vital element in this discussion, is the theory that horror literature has wider implications than mere creation of horror. Ideally, horror fiction should reconceptualise the place of the human in the universe, as well as reconceptualise our values and shatter our perception of reality.
The paper argues that Ligotti’s horror fiction bases itself on a merging of the real with the nightmare, by utilizing a shattering of boundaries, and puppets as symbols for human life. This is reminiscent of certain Gnostic beliefs, but Ligotti’s fiction offers no salvation, as opposed to the Gnostics. In Ligotti’s fiction, life is the essential problem that cannot be solved. Everything seems to partake in life, whereby – in a distinctly anti-ideal authorship – the standing outside of life, the escape from life, and the rejection of life becomes the only ideals.
The paper stresses that the rejection of life, and standing on the outside of life, is a vital part of Ligotti’s fiction, whereby it reconceptualises our notion of humanity, our values and our perception of reality. However, even the rejection of life is also, in a way, an affirmation of life, meaning there is no escape from life, in spite of a continual rejection.
As one can see, it's not exactly groundbreaking work here, but since it's a BA, it doesn't need to be. Nevertheless, it's apparently a good paper, with some Todorov-bashing.
Old 07-10-2008   #3
Jezetha
Chymist
Points: 11,922, Level: 75 Points: 11,922, Level: 75 Points: 11,922, Level: 75
Level up: 58% Level up: 58% Level up: 58%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Excellent news, Mads! My congratulations!

I had already read the greater part of your BA assignment. Once I have finished The Nightmare Factory I'll do so again. I'm looking forward to comparing your view of Ligotti with mine.
Jezetha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008   #4
gveranon
Grimscribe
Points: 43,580, Level: 100 Points: 43,580, Level: 100 Points: 43,580, Level: 100
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

MadsPLP: That sounds very interesting. I'll be eager to read it if you post an English translation of it here.
gveranon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008   #5
G. S. Carnivals
Our Temporary Supervisor
Quotes: 397
Points: 272,439, Level: 100 Points: 272,439, Level: 100 Points: 272,439, Level: 100
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

I envy you, MadsPLP. I never had "12" scrawled upon my writing assignments. I had to settle for the scarlet letter... ;)

"What does it mean to be alive except to court disaster and suffering at every moment?"

Tibet: Carnivals?
Ligotti: Ceremonies for initiating children into the cult of the sinister.
Tibet: Gas stations?
Ligotti: Nothing to say about gas stations as such, although I've always responded to the smell of gasoline as if it were a kind of perfume.
G. S. Carnivals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008   #6
Cyril Tourneur
Grimscribe
Points: 123,424, Level: 100 Points: 123,424, Level: 100 Points: 123,424, Level: 100
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%
Send a message via Skype™ to Cyril Tourneur

congratulations Mads on your BA mark

(Dictated while taking a stroll) I have come to realizewhat a superbly contrived marionette man is. Though without strings attached, one can strut, jump, hop and, moreover, utter words, an elaborately made puppet! Who knows? At the Bon season next year, I may be a new dead invited to the Bon festival. What an evanescent world! This truth keeps slipping off our minds.

- Tsunetomo Yamamoto, The Hagakure
Cyril Tourneur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008   #7
Viva June
Mystic
Points: 7,493, Level: 60 Points: 7,493, Level: 60 Points: 7,493, Level: 60
Level up: 72% Level up: 72% Level up: 72%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Tillykke!

I guess this means that drinks are on you the next time we meet.
Viva June is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008   #8
MadsPLP
Grimscribe
Threadstarter

Quote Originally Posted by Viva June View Post
Tillykke!

I guess this means that drinks are on you the next time we meet.
I guess so. There's a downside to everything, isn't there?

Many thanks to you who congratulated - I guess a scarlet letter isn't too bad, GSC? I considered writing my thesis about that novel, but I'm glad I decided against it.

And many, many thanks to those from the Nightmare Network who provided me with texts about Ligotti - that was a greater help than you can imagine.

I still haven't started translated, but hope to get something done in the next couple of weeks.
Old 07-17-2008   #9
G. S. Carnivals
Our Temporary Supervisor
Quotes: 397
Points: 272,439, Level: 100 Points: 272,439, Level: 100 Points: 272,439, Level: 100
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Quote Originally Posted by MadsPLP View Post
Many thanks to you who congratulated - I guess a scarlet letter isn't too bad, GSC? I considered writing my thesis about that novel, but I'm glad I decided against it.
In the United States, the highest academic grade is denoted by the letter "A," with "A+" being superlative. I had a religion instructor in college who told us that he once used a scale of animals as grades in order to prove the arbitrariness of the system. He said that students would seriously approach him, and attempt to have a "pig" changed to a "horse" or a "horse" changed to a "cow." Mr. Will taught me most of what I understand about Buddhism. And he attended a wild Halloween party at our house once, too!

"What does it mean to be alive except to court disaster and suffering at every moment?"

Tibet: Carnivals?
Ligotti: Ceremonies for initiating children into the cult of the sinister.
Tibet: Gas stations?
Ligotti: Nothing to say about gas stations as such, although I've always responded to the smell of gasoline as if it were a kind of perfume.
G. S. Carnivals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008   #10
MadsPLP
Grimscribe
Threadstarter

Aha! I wasn't sure the A+ grade actually existed. I don't own a television anymore, so my memories from American TV series are rather blurred these days.

In Denmark, the superlative grading doesn't exist anymore, the former "11" and "13" (the latter being the superlative grading) have recently married, and lives happily together as the "12". The arbitraryness, however, is still very much present.

Quote Originally Posted by G. S. Carnivals View Post
Quote Originally Posted by MadsPLP View Post
In the United States, the highest academic grade is denoted by the letter "A," with "A+" being superlative. I had a religion instructor in college who told us that he once used a scale of animals as grades in order to prove the arbitrariness of the system. He said that students would seriously approach him, and attempt to have a "pig" changed to a "horse" or a "horse" changed to a "cow." Mr. Will taught me most of what I understand about Buddhism. And he attended a wild Halloween party at our house once, too!