THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK
Go Back   THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK > Discussion & Interpretation > Story Forum > General Discussion
Home Forums Content Contagion Members Media Diversion Info Register

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes Translate
Old 12-26-2010   #1
The Evil Hat
Acolyte
Quotes: 0
Points: 13,130, Level: 79 Points: 13,130, Level: 79 Points: 13,130, Level: 79
Level up: 9% Level up: 9% Level up: 9%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Send a message via AIM to The Evil Hat
Crampton

I was browsing ebay today when I saw (could it be?) Crampton. For 9.99. I'm not talking about the Durtro edition, but rather what the seller called the "X Files version" which they said was passed out by Ligotti before, later, being revised into what became the Durtro version. I put down a bid higher than was probably a good idea for me at the time, but got lucky and ended up with a 15.99 piece of Ligotti history on its way to my door. That being said, I know almost nothing about Crampton besides that it's a screenplay and that it is/was related in some way to the X Files. Where does it stand with Ligotti's other work? How different is what I'm going to get from the Durtro version? Is the X Files version a nonexistent entity that will arrive at my house with a little sticker saying "ha ha, fooled you"?

(I thought, briefly, about mentioning the sale in progress on here and asking questions then, but I was terrified of someone on here coming on and outbidding me. Sorry, fellow Ligottians, but I only like a fair fight when it's stacked in my favor.)

The Hat Rack: featuring (hopefully) in-depth and (possibly) insightful reviews of fantasy, science fiction and horror books.
The Evil Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010   #2
G. S. Carnivals
Our Temporary Supervisor
Quotes: 397
Points: 272,439, Level: 100 Points: 272,439, Level: 100 Points: 272,439, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%
Re: Crampton

I'm shocked and surprised that a pirated copy of the "X-Files" Crampton hasn't surfaced on the Internet until now. For what it's worth, my take on the two versions was posted five years ago:

The Crampton Variations - THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK

"What does it mean to be alive except to court disaster and suffering at every moment?"

Tibet: Carnivals?
Ligotti: Ceremonies for initiating children into the cult of the sinister.
Tibet: Gas stations?
Ligotti: Nothing to say about gas stations as such, although I've always responded to the smell of gasoline as if it were a kind of perfume.
G. S. Carnivals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010   #3
The Evil Hat
Acolyte
Threadstarter

Well, I feel somewhat bad about buying pirated work, but not bad enough to stop being excited about what's on its way. Would you say that the differences between the versions are large enough to justify spending the price of the Durtro Campton, having this one?

The Hat Rack: featuring (hopefully) in-depth and (possibly) insightful reviews of fantasy, science fiction and horror books.
Old 12-27-2010   #4
G. S. Carnivals
Our Temporary Supervisor
Quotes: 397
Points: 272,439, Level: 100 Points: 272,439, Level: 100 Points: 272,439, Level: 100
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Yes. The Unholy City CD alone justifies the expense at this late date.

"What does it mean to be alive except to court disaster and suffering at every moment?"

Tibet: Carnivals?
Ligotti: Ceremonies for initiating children into the cult of the sinister.
Tibet: Gas stations?
Ligotti: Nothing to say about gas stations as such, although I've always responded to the smell of gasoline as if it were a kind of perfume.
G. S. Carnivals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011   #5
DoktorH
Grimscribe
Points: 39,440, Level: 100 Points: 39,440, Level: 100 Points: 39,440, Level: 100
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%

Started reading Crampton today. I am aware that it is an unused X-files script with names changed to avoid infringing on any copyrights. I found a youtube video of the big snitch and little snitch doing their cups-and-balls routine:
DoktorH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011   #6
JesseM
Mannikin
Points: 7,086, Level: 58 Points: 7,086, Level: 58 Points: 7,086, Level: 58
Level up: 68% Level up: 68% Level up: 68%

I found what I think is the original X-Files version on a file-sharing site, though I guess it's possible someone wrote up a fake version. If anyone reading has what they know to be the original script written for the X-Files, send me a private message with an email address I can mail my version to you to compare (and feel free to send me a request even if you don't have the original, unless it's considered non-kosher to pass around pirated works that are impossible to obtain legally...if it ever becomes legally available I'll definitely buy it!)
JesseM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011   #7
The Evil Hat
Acolyte
Threadstarter

I've both the original and Durtro versions, now, so send it to me if you're curious which it is. I wouldn't be able to check until tomorrow though.

Old 08-06-2011   #8
DoktorH
Grimscribe
Points: 39,440, Level: 100 Points: 39,440, Level: 100 Points: 39,440, Level: 100

I read the Durtro edition, and I am puzzled about something. Is the superstition about yellow houses (kooky magicians saying "I never want to live in a yellow house") something Ligotti invented for the story, or is it a pre-existing superstition?

personally, I am leaning towards Ligotti-invented. I did some googling and couldn't find anything ominous about yellow houses, and within the context of the story it suggests the Kooky Magicians are in league with Them, and the saying was a specific reference to the yellow house as a dumping ground for Their victims.
DoktorH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011   #9
JesseM
Mannikin
Points: 7,086, Level: 58 Points: 7,086, Level: 58 Points: 7,086, Level: 58
Level up: 68% Level up: 68% Level up: 68%

The Evil Hat emailed to say that the script I downloaded does seem to be the original X-files script, so if anyone is interested in reading it, send me a PM.
JesseM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011   #10
Ascrobius
Our Temporary Supervisor
Points: 31,273, Level: 100 Points: 31,273, Level: 100 Points: 31,273, Level: 100

Yeah, Phil...that's been floating around for some time on the internet. There is also someone who sells photocopies of it on Ebay (which I think is rather low-rent, IMO), something I believe was mentioned earlier in this thread. It's kind of like, if that's how we'll "do business", why don't we all just start copying everything and selling the copies of copies of copies of copies on Ebay. Even at 10 bucks a piece, it's a nice profit since the individual selling the copies paid nothing for them from the get go. It would have been the same for Michigan Basement, which was never available, though I have a copy of that. ;)

I tell you everything that is really nothing, and nothing of what is everything, do not be fooled by what I am saying. Please listen carefully and try to hear what I am not saying. ~Charles C. Finn
Ascrobius is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
G. S. Carnivals (08-09-2011)